What is the danger?
Two Disaster Recovery Centers (DRC) are open in Harris County to help residents affected by Tropical Storm Imelda.
Recovery specialists from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), local and state agencies will be at the centers to answer questions about disaster assistance and low-interest disaster loans. They can also help survivors apply for federal disaster assistance.
IT May Community Center
2100 Wolf Road, Huffman TX 77336
Seven days a week, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Harris County Social Services
9418 Jensen Drive, Houston TX 77093
Seven days a week, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.
APPLY FOR ASSISTANCE
FEMA’s Individual Assistance (IA) program is for homeowners and renters who may be eligible for grants to help pay for temporary housing, home repairs and other serious disaster-related expenses not met by insurance or other assistance programs. Apply now for IA:
– ONLINE: DisasterAssistance.gov
– PHONE: 800-621-3362
Low-interest disaster loans from SBA are also available to businesses, private nonprofit organizations, homeowners and renters to cover residential and business losses because of Imelda. Applicants can visit the DRC for one-on-one assistance, or contact SBA:
– ONLINE: SBA.gov/disaster
– PHONE: 800-659-2955
– Most applicants for SBA will need to apply for FEMA assistance with BEFORE applying with SBA. See instructions above.
BRING WITH YOU
Residents who plan to register with FEMA or SBA at a DRC should have the following information:
– Social Security number
– Address of the damaged primary residence
– Description of the damage
– Information about insurance coverage
– A current contact telephone number
– An address where they can receive mail
– Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit of funds
211 Texas/United Way Helpline, operated by United Way of Greater Houston, is committed to helping people connect with the services they may need for recovery.
– CALL 2-1-1 or 877 541- 7905
– GO ONLINE to search the database at www.211texas.org
– 211 Texas is a free, anonymous social service hotline available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and help can be provided in 150 different languages.