Texas State Representative Armando Walle of Houston is one of four state lawmakers who are being honored by Feeding Texas, the state association of food banks, with a 2019 Hunger Leadership Award for their work to end hunger in the 86th Texas Legislative Session.
A ceremony for Rep. Walle was held last Friday, November 15 at the Houston Food Bank.
The four lawmakers honored at the ceremonies were:
– Representative Armando Walle – Houston Food Bank (Houston)
– Senator Brandon Creighton – Montgomery County Food Bank (Conroe)
– Representative Terry Meza – North Texas Food Bank (Plano)
– Senator Charles Perry – South Plains Food Bank (Lubbock)
Each honoree championed critical legislation to support food banks in their effort to end hunger.
• SB 2334 / HB 3668 (Creighton/Walle) created a funding mechanism to help food banks prepare for and respond to large-scale natural disasters like Hurricane Harvey.
• SB 1445 / HB 3931 (Perry/Meza) proposed simplifying the SNAP application process for Texas seniors, who participate in the program at reduced rates despite their need.
Three of the award ceremonies took place in September during Hunger Action Month; Rep. Walle’s ceremony was held this month.
Hunger stat: In Texas, 14% of the population — or 1 in 7 Texans — experiences food insecurity annually.